57% of Your Energy Savings Depend on You

ThinkstockPhotos-87657346

Procedia Engineering published a Michigan State study which shows that technological advances in buildings and equipment account for 43% of energy savings. However, the other 57% depends on you.

In other words, your behavior determines most of your energy savings. Even if you have the most advanced and efficient appliances and home available, you can still throw much of it away.

What behaviors lead affect your energy efficiency?

Here are some:

  1. Setting Your AC to the Non-Ideal Temperature

Your air conditioning achieves peak efficiency at a certain temperature. Set it below that temperature, and you start to wipe out some of your energy savings.

This happens throughout the day and week dozens of times in small ways. Smart thermostats nearly eliminate all these errors so you stay highly efficient. They achieve a level of efficiency most people can’t.

Of course, you might care more about your comfort than efficiency and be willing to make a little bit of a sacrifice. That part of the decision’s up to you.

  1. Taking Too Long of Showers

Your water heater is the second biggest consumer of energy in your home besides your HVAC system. And that especially applies if you have one that uses electricity. So, any activity that involves using hot water is generally inefficient behavior. Today, you can get solar-powered water heaters and even ones that use heat from the air to heat your water. They’re far more efficient than the standard electric or gas water heater.

On your own, you can simply monitor how you use hot water and use less of it.

  1. Electronics That Consume Energy When Off

Many electronic devices and appliances simply reduce their power usage when “off.” They’re not actually completely turned off to the point where they don’t use any energy at all.

You can’t put too much of this on yourself. But you do have power to do something about it. And no, you don’t have to monitor the devices to make sure they’re really off. Instead, just get a smart power strip that detects when the devices should be off and cuts off all power to them.

What Else Can You Control?

Those are just some of the behaviors which you have power to change so you get the energy savings you should. Consider all the different ways you use electricity and how you can change your behavior to experience max energy savings.

Menu Title